It is with great humility, as President of The Marine Club, that I carry on the incredible traditions of this historic organization. I greatly thank our members, corporate sponsors and hard-working volunteer Board / Executive for the opportunity to serve you in this role again.
The objectives of The Marine Club include:
- The promotion of the marine industry on the Great Lakes
- The promotion of cooperation and fellowship amongst its members
- The holding of informal social events for its members and friends and to further knowledge of the industry amongst its members and the public at large.
- Raising funds through memberships and events to fund our Good Works Program.
The long-standing traditions of The Marine Club have been to unite all sectors of the marine industry through fellowship and socialization. With the health and wellbeing measures needed to battle the COVID-19 pandemic the means to unite through traditional social event platforms has been a challenge. We respect the current measures needed to remain safe, and hope the success of the vaccine rollout and protective measures will allow The Marine Club to once again unite us in social events. With our limited ability to raise funding for our Good Works programs through social events, we have determined that our Corporate Sponsorship program funding will be our primary means to support our Good Works operations. Details of the program are noted in our membership section of the web site.
The funds raised by the Club go towards our Good Works Program which are used to promote and assist the marine industry. In the past years over $63,000 was distributed to various organizations:
- – Bursaries to Navigation and Engineering Cadets at Georgian College
- – Financial support to the Royal Canadian Sea Cadets
- – Financial support to the Mission to Seafarers – The Mission to Seafarers provides help and support to the 1.5 million crewmen and women helping to promote the spiritual, moral and physical well-being of Seafarers and their families world-wide.
- – Financial support to The Briggs who assist under privileged children with opportunities to sail.
The Board of Directors and the Executive all work hard throughout the year to bring these us together and support our mission.
On behalf of the Board, we thank you for your continued membership and support of The Marine Club. If you are not already a member of The Marine Club, then I hope you will take an opportunity to learn more about our organization and join us.
© Copyright 2019 The Marine Club. All rights reserved.